Most homebuyers realize that they can’t expect a perfect home inspection report when buying a resale home. Cosmetic flaws and minor repairs are easily managed and shouldn’t be deal breakers. That said, there are some issues that are more serious and should give the buyer pause if not addressed adequately.
10 Home Inspection Red Flags
- Leaky and Rundown Roofing – watch for signs of current or past water damage.
- Poor Drainage – drainage issues can cause serious damage to the home foundation, siding, and basements.
- Foundation Issues – signs of foundation problems can include cracks around doors and windows or uneven floors. Foundation problems can cost thousands of dollars to correct.
- Plumbing Problems – major plumbing issues should be considered carefully and further explored.
- Pest Infestations – termites and other wood-eating pests can cause extensive damage that can be hard to find and costly to repair.
- Mold – that “musty” smell could be due to hidden mold and further investigation should be taken as mold can be dangerous to the health of the family. Depending on the type of mold, it can be very difficult to remove entirely.
- Faulty Heating System – a malfunctioning furnace can be a fire hazard.
- Electrical Wiring – faulty wiring can cost thousands of dollars to repair.
- Structural Damage – sagging joists, rafters, and door jambs can be evidence of larger issues.
- Deferred Maintenance – a home in poor condition could be hiding more serious issues due to chronic neglect.
Homebuyers should be alert to these issues and know the costs to repair before concluding the sale. Home sellers should address these issues before putting the home up for sale to ensure they get the best possible sales price.
Are you looking to purchase a home in Knoxville? While the market is hot, you can still win bidding wards WITH a home inspection, but without sacrificing the safety of knowing what potential risks your home may have. I work together with a team of local and professional inspectors to provide my buyers with confidence in purchasing a home that is safe and sound. Contact me today to learn how I can help you purchase a home, with a home inspection, but not lose out on the home of your dreams!